Managerial Accounting A
Managerial Accounting A
Academic year 2018/2019
- Course ID
- Teaching staff
- Francesca Culasso (Lecturer)
Peter Clarke (Lecturer)
Edoardo Crocco (Tutor)
- 2nd year
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- SECS-P/07 - economia aziendale
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
Sommario del corso
The course aims to study the logic, the responsibility centres and the tools of the management control in the enterprises, with particular attention to the manufacturing ones. The purpose of the course is to provide students with the knowledge and understanding about the mechanisms of the managerial system, useful to guide and empower managers to the global objectives of the firm, side by side in an initial capacity to apply this knowledge and understanding in simple practical case studies. The course enables graduates to acquire the necessary skills to his joining the company, where through the study and understanding of all business processes, will become a figure of reference for the activities of management control and support to operational managers in their decision making. The course also allows the graduate who will specialize in some other area of management to acquire the basic skills for programming and monitoring of its actions in key economic and financial.
Results of learning outcomes
At the end of the course student is expected to be capable of:
- knowing and understanding the logic of management control as a directional process and its mechanisms and technical - accounting tools;
- applying knowledge about the management control logic and tools to the planning, budgeting and reporting issues;
- making judgements to critically analyse the issue and selected solutions discussed in the business cases study;
- using communication skills to discuss in the classroom the business cases studied in the individual and team work, using appropriate supports;
- using learning skills to verify ongoing the learning degree of the managerial logic, also and in particular through the business cases study and discussion.
The course is articulated in 42 hours of formal and interactive in-class lecture, and in at least many hours of at-home work solving pratical exercises.
Learning assessment methods
The course grade is determined solely on the basis of a written examination. The examination (2 hours) is articulated in two parts:
- 3/4 theoretical open questions, through which verify both the knowledge about concepts and results developed in the course and the ability to use effectively the concepts and the result to solve simple case-study problems;
- some pratical and quantitative exercises, through which verify the ability of the students to apply technical financial and non financial tools to analytical business problems.
Homework exercises will be assigned, and their solution will be discussed in class (if time allows) or uploaded on the website.
- The logic and the contents of the strategic planning and management control in the enterprises
- Economic analysis for the management control ( Cost-Volume Profit Analysis, Break- Even Point Analysis, Economic convenience and differential reasoning)
- The budget and its drawing up processes
- Economic variances and Reporting.
Suggested readings and bibliography
CULASSO F., Management Accounting Systems, Giappichelli Editore, 2012.
SEZIONE DI RAGIONERIA - DIPARTIMENTO DI MANAGEMENT, Slides of Management Accounting.
SEZIONE DI RAGIONERIA - DIPARTIMENTO DI MANAGEMENT, Exercises of Management Accounting.